According to Discovery News, friggatriskaidekaphobics are people who are afraid of Friday the 13th….try saying that 5 times very fast.
The superstition of Friday the 13th is a fairly new superstition said to date back to the late 18oo’s. Discovery News stated that Christians have long considered Fridays to be unlucky, as Jesus died on a Friday, and the number 13 has had a long-standing history of being considered an unlucky number.
And for those of you that thought you got out of today unscathed with no “unlucky” things happening to you, I regret to inform you that today was just one of 3, yes 3 occurrances of Friday the 13th for this year. So you might not be so “lucky” next time 😉
Just for fun, here are the top 13 superstitions as referrenced on Discovery News:
13) Beginners Luck
12) Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck
11) Don’t walk under a ladder
10) black cats crossing your path
9) lucky rabbits foot
8) bad luck happens in 3’s
7) Break a mirror, have 7 years bad luck
6) 666 = mark of the beast/Satan
5) knock on wood to not tempt fate
4) make a wish on a wishbone
3) cross your fingers
2) don’t open umbrella’s inside
1) Friday the 13th
Did you experience anything unlucky today? Do you believe in superstitions?