Helloooooo friends, and welcome new followers. I realized its been a good half a year or so since I’ve really blogged, other than my recipe post yesterday. sooooo much has happened in that time period. I had previously announced I was pregnant with my first baby. I had some complications (not too serious) with that pregnancy that led to lots of doctor visits to occupy my time. Then during the summer, we were also frantically looking for a new place to live to accommodate our growing family. Then came our first anniversary and moving week. Unpacking and trying to figure out where to put things came next. Then came the baby showers, and yet more organizing and putting things away. Then was my birthday, oodles more doctor appointments, and finally little man arrived on 11/4. And lets not forget the holiday season and my family visiting for a few weeks from NY. And there you have the last 7 months or so of my crazy life. Life with a newborn is quite the adjustment. No one can really prepare you for how it will be, other than to tell you that you will function on extremely little sleep, life won’t be the same again, but in the end it is all worth it. Our little guy has had some complications, so we are still dealing with lots of doctors and figuring things out, and yes there is no sleep, the house is a mess, you lose track of the days, your lucky to get one or two things done during the day that are non-baby related, but one look at him and my heart melts. I can’t promise that I will be blogging regularly but I will try to do a few posts per month. Its one of my new years resolutions, that hopefully I will stick with. I still welcome your feedback/ideas on what to blog about (click on the BLOG THIS tab at the top) and always love comments. Here’s to a happy, healthy and blessed 2014!
Author Archives: Stacey
I was at my mother-in-laws this week and we were watching Food Network. The show we were watching featured this dish that sounded and looked amazing. Both my MIL and myself LOVE shrimp, so the next day, she got the ingredients for it and made it. It was soooooo good.
Lemony shrimp scampi
6 garlic cloves, pressed or grated
2 lemons, zested and juiced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 pound medium shrimp (21 to 25), peeled, deveined and butterflied (reserve shells)
3/4 pound thin linguini
2 tablespoons butter
1 small bunch parsley, leaves chopped
In a bowl, combine the garlic, zest and juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, to taste, and the shrimp. Set aside to marinate. Meanwhile make a quick shrimp stock: In a small pot, over medium heat, add the shrimp shells and onion. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain into a bowl and discard the shells and the onion. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add a generous amount of salt. Add the linguini and cook until just tender, 2 minutes less than instructed on the package. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water. Heat a skillet over high heat. Remove the shrimp from the marinade, reserve the marinade, and add the shrimp to the skillet. Cook until they turn pink and start to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan to a plate and add the reserved marinade. Let cook a few minutes then add about 1 cup of shrimp stock and about 1/2 cup pasta water. Continue to cook until sauce reduces by half. Add the zest and juice of the remaining lemon, the butter and the parsley and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Add in the shrimp and pasta and toss to combine with the sauce. Turn out into a serving bowl and serve immediately.
sorry there is no picture, because we ate it all! enjoy!
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
A New York City subway train holds 1,200 people. This blog was viewed about 4,200 times in 2013. If it were a NYC subway train, it would take about 4 trips to carry that many people.
Happy Friday everyone. This week has been pretty crazy for me, lots of emotional stress from work. But TGIF right! Here’s todays questions for Five Question Friday. Feel free to answer in the comments.
1. What is one thing you have too many of in your house? My husband will say I have too many clothes or shoes. I don’t agree or disagree with him ;)
2. Did anything go not quite as planned on your wedding day? Well we got married in the Bahamas. The weather had been amazing the days leading up to the wedding. Then the night before was a complete downpour and it was still raining up until about 1 1/2 hours before the ceremony started, which was outside on the beach. I had to be careful to avoid a few puddles, but otherwise the weather held off and it was beautiful outside. I did have a total hair disaster as soon as the stylist left. But they were able to track him down and he fixed it, outside, right before I went down the aisle.
3. What is your favorite summer smoothie recipe? anything with strawberries or mango in it.
4. What is the weather like where you are? HOT ….as in triple digits…..so not fun when you’re pregnant.
5. What is your favorite book to read to your kids? Don’t know yet. We have received 2 Dr. Seuss books and are asking for people to bring books to the baby shower, so we will have to see. I can’t wait to read to our son.
Yay, Five Question Friday is back. Our hostess was on vacation and just plain ol’ busy the last couple of Fridays so there hadn’t been any questions. But she’s back, and here is today’s installment. As always, please feel free to answer the questions in the comments.
1. Would you rather pay for house cleaner or spa day? Right now I would say Spa Day!! Being preggo, it would be nice to be pampered all day and just relax and enjoy myself before the little one makes his debut. Plus I have an amazing husband who helps me a LOT with cleaning the apartment.
2. Who plans what gifts you get for holidays, you or your spouse? We both do. I think it depends on who the gift is for. If it’s someone on his side of the family, he knows them better. But we try to do it together.
3. How many hours of sleep do you get? Do you need more? I try to get 7-8 but it is interrupted by at least 2-3 trips to the bathroom every night. I would love to have one night of uninterrupted sleep. Guess it’s just preparation for my little one.
4. Do you like your hair long or short? My hair looks best long. It is so thick that if it was short it would look like a helmet or mushroom head. I did have it really really short once, but had to get it cut every 2 weeks! thank god my friend was a hair dresser and wouldn’t charge me. It looked so horrible growing out and seemed to take forever.
5. When was the last time you were pulled over and what was it for? I honestly can’t remember. I think it was back in 1999 or 2000 when my car was having issues (smoke kept coming out of the back end) so the cop stopped me to see what was wrong. I did get a ticket in 2007 but was already stopped. That was for stopping in the bus lane at the airport to pick up my young teenage client and was “right there” and we had no idea where else to go.
Have a great Friday!!
So today is July 1st. It’s the second half of the year already. Time has been flying by. I feel like it was just recently that I found out I was pregnant, and I’m halfway through my second trimester now. We just found out that baby D is a BOY! I’m really excited, but also so nervous because I was only really around girl babies and not sure how to care for a baby boy. The heat here in southern California has been unbelievably HOT….in the 100’s the last few days and summer barely started. I am kind of dreading the next few months as I get bigger/more pregnant and the rediculous temperatures that will ensue. What’s the weather like where you are at? How do you like to keep cool?