- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard or Kale stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can white beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 5-6 cans beef broth (or chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups ditalini pasta
- Optional: grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
- Add Swiss Chard or kale, basil, and crushed red-pepper. Cook, stirring, until greens start to wilt, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add all the beans to the pan, as well as tomatoes with juice and 5-6 cups broth. Cover and simmer, until veggies are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add ditalini pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes more.
- Serve with grated Romano/Parmesan, if desired.
Pair it with some nice crusty bread or rolls.
Notes: You can also add other root vegetables, such as potato or butternut squash for a more hearty soup. And another option is to add some bacon (because who doesn’t love bacon).